Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My feelings.

Home schooling MereBear has been rewarding for me. I know it has only been a couple of days since we started but I really love teaching her, and I love the enthusiasm she gives me. I’ve been trying to do some Kindergarten readiness with TayTay year old but her attention span is lacking, so I’ve just been letting her color for most of the time I home school MearBear which teaches her to stay still for more than 5 minutes.



Lately little man has been going to therapy once a week, and quit frankly I’m very disappointed in how they do things. I love the activities they do with him, most of which we have been doing for a year now without therapy. The part I’m most disappointed in is that they let him get away with too much. Yes, He is our baby, we love him, he gets praised when he does things, but if you tell him to do something 10 times make him do it that many. Don’t stop him in the middle when he decides he doesn’t want to. They had him on the treadmill and he was refusing to walk, the therapist was actually taking his legs and doing it for him. For a 2 year old, what is this telling him? Oh, I don’t have to do it because someone will do it for me. So my husband went and grabbed a ball, which he loves, and asked him if he wants the ball, Little man then replied yes. He walked to the ball, by himself. Why is it that we are more strict than the therapists who are getting paid 200 dollars a session.


If you haven’t noticed already we are very strict with our children. We teach them faith, good morals, and respect. When they are asked a question they reply with a yes ma’am or yes sir. Well, we’ve been lacking on that lately. They say may I when asking a question. They sit up straight while eating dinner, and we usually don’t allow talking or screwing around. Because of this, our children, with the exception of little man, are very independent. We don’t allow much TV, and if allowed only Nick Jr. Or children appropriate movies.


I believe whole heartedly that because of the way we raise our children, and because we don’t treat Little man any differently just because he’s mildly disabled has CPS thinking we are abusive or neglectful or whatever it is they think we are. We don’t want Little man to use his disability as a crutch, nor do we even like to label him disabled. In our house that word isn’t even mentioned unless we are talking to doctors about him. We don’t want limits for him, we want him to thrive. We want him to be able to do everything we know he’s capable of doing. The second you label a child, with whatever, your child is looked at differently, treated differently. My husband and I have both been labeled as children, and that’s the very last thing we want for any of our children. My husband was told that he was going to be mentally retarded and not be able to do anything in life. He joined the Marine corps and did exactly the opposite of what was expected. I was having a lot of problems starting in the sixth grade with a severe bat of acid reflux, followed by agoraphobia, and other anxieties. I was diagnosed from A-Z, and was completely outcast at school. I was put in mental institutions, I was molested, raped. My life was broken. After I had my second daughter, I completely changed. My children and my husband complete me.


I just cannot understand why CPS thinks we are neglectful when there are other children out there that are. I cry thinking about that. It’s very upsetting, and unsettling.


I just had to get that off my chest, once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment